Saturday, September 12, 2009

The new Lehane

I finally picked up the Given Day. After the first chapter I was amazed that I hadn't started it sooner. If it continues to be as good as it is now, this is probably his best book, which puts it above nearly everything else out there. The book reminds me quite a bit of James Ellroy's LA Quartet books. While they have their basis in police work, they are really stories of the City and the political and social fault lines in those cities. More on this great one later.

3 comments:

Brack said...

Right there with you. Best. Lehane. Evah. Transcends genre and is lit fic in the best sense of the term.

Tripp said...

I am really liking it so far (on page 140 or so) I sense great tragedy for the two leads (Danny and Luther)

The interaction between Luther and Babe Ruth at the beginning was fantastic.

Brack said...

Yes,a bit of sports writing that even you could love. Don't worry, you'll be seeing Mr. Ruth again.

The ending is very well done - I'll leave it at that, lest I spoil it for you.