Friday, May 16, 2008

Hey, is Dee Dee home?

Among my books on deck (that is to say, not my next read, but the books vying for that coveted book after next spot) is Martin Torgoff's Can't Find My Way Home: America in the Great Stoned Age 1945-2000. It will be a change of pace at the very least. In thinking about the book, I tried to think of some of the best songs about drugs and came up with the Lemonheads Drug Buddy and the Heartbreaker's Chinese Rocks. Neither paints a terribly attractive picture. Videos below.



4 comments:

Brack said...

Duuuuude. Sugar Magnolia to Uncle John's Band to Box of Rain to Dark Star. Mountain View Ampitheatre in, like, '98. Epic, man.





You gonna finish those Doritos?

Tripp said...

Ah, now those are songs meant to be enjoyed WHILE on drugs, but are not ABOUT drugs.

White Rabbit from the same period of course is an excellent example.

Brack said...

Alrighty then, I guess that rules out the entire Pink Floyd catalogue.

How about these smokin' tunes:

1. Stones: "Mother's Little Helper"
2. Bowie: "Ashes to Ashes"
3. The Clash: "Hateful"
4. Neil Young: "The Needle and the Damage Done"
5. Anything off this album: http://www.amazon.com/Junkers-Jivers-Coke-Fiends-1926-1952/dp/B0007WL7DK



I can't stand "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton, so it doesn't make the list. Almost as annoying as Afroman's "Because I Got High".

Tripp said...

Nice and I appreciate that you left out the odious "Smoke Two Joints."