Saturday, May 03, 2008

Back to History Reading Challenge

The year is 1/3 over and I am just 1/6 of the way through my Back to History Reading Challenge books. Whoops. I am hoping to get to most of them this year, but I am also going to swap some titles. One on my list is Dorothy Dunnett's Queen's Play*, and I am just not that into it. So I am going to replace it with Steven Waldman's Founding Faith, which I am very much into. Waldman starts from the premise that the left and right today misunderstand and misuse the faith lives of the founding fathers. He also discusses how the changing mix and character of religion in the colonies influenced the eventual Revolution and the formation of government. It is an well-written book that clearly explains the subject. So after this I will be 1/4 of the way there, yay!

*Speaking of Dunnett, a few years back, I picked up ten or so of her books at the Arlington (VA) library for about a quarter each. They had been taking up space for some time and I didn't think I would ever get to them, so I took them into Powells for trade. Along with a bunch of other odds and ends, I managed to get enough credit to buy a new copy of the boardgame Railroad Tycoon. Yahtzee! As if I didn't love Powell's enough already.

No comments: