Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A neverending tide

I've been in a reading funk the last few days. I started a number of books, but couldn't get into any of them. In times of such trouble, it is best to turn to stand-bys, and I went with Ian McEwan's Black Dogs. Of course, my inability to begin a book did not stop me from acquiring new ones. New books include

House of Chains by Steven Erikson. The very definition of epic fantasy, this ten book story spans multiple continents and churns through a number of characters. Decidedly not for everyone, but for the fantasy reader, it is a winner. Thanks to Brack for this one.

Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. One the most talked about books of last year. This looks like a more positive and comprehensive Fast Food Nation. Found at Costco.

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright. Pulitzer Prize winning account of Al Qaeda up until 9/11. Those 25% off Borders coupons are too hard to resist. It was this or Aunt Hagar's Childrenand that one will likely be next.

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. I've wanted these sci-fi short stories for some time and this Sandstorm review fired my interest. I was in Powells and saw they had a used copy. I couldn't say no at that point, right?

No comments: