Friday, September 28, 2007

Letting my geek flag fly

Some years ago, Brunching Shuttlecocks published the Geek Hierarchy, which details the geeks who are looked down upon by other geeks. While it's not mentioned, somewhere low on the list must go People Who Play Four Hour Games about war between Sauron and the Free Peoples. Yes, along with other board games, I am happy to spend an evening playing War of the Ring.

Haters will laugh, but there is great tension in trying to hold back the Orcish hordes. In this game both Legolas and Gandalf died before the ring was destroyed. This game has to be good otherwise we wouldn't put up with the rules. I've played three times and I only just know think I can play it correctly.

All of this makes me want to go back and read the books, my memory of the story is confused by the movie, methinks.

No comments: