Sunday, August 28, 2005

Thanks a lot friends

A friend just reminded me of Kings of Infinite Space. It is a kind of mix of Office Space, a Richard Russo novel and a Stephen King story. The setting is a government services bureau pursuing a typically boring task. Our hero is a failed academic who is a temp and he is concerned about strange beings he spots in the office.

The writing is satirical and should be enjoyable for those who think their office mates are in league with dark forces. There aren't that many authors who can create convincing characters while also being laugh out loud funny but this guy succeeds. The copy on the back of the book didn't really do the book justice and I wouldn't have read it if Steve hadn't sent it to me. The cover art isn't terribly engaging either. Thank god for recommendations or I would just be reading what the marketers tell me to read.

No comments: