Monday, August 29, 2005

Redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash

Since J also enjoys the glorious Scotchmallow I thought I would wax enthusiastic for marshmallow. You may not have noticed while checking the See's candy counter, but the good folk of See's sell a Scotchmallow bar that is five times the size of the truffle size. While this greatly increases the calorie load, it also allows for more tactile enjoyment of the caramel-marshmallow blend. Happily, See's sells these at their little airport kiosks, making for a much better lay-over treat than a Take Five.

I should mention the White Trash Special from Redbones, the best BBQ joint in Boston (admitedly not a fierce competition.) It is a sundae with copious amounts of Marshmallow Fluff, chocolate and ice cream. Rarely can one get piles of marshmallow goodness with ones ice cream. Word of warning, do not mock the White Trash Special in front of semi-strangers, if they ate Fluff as a child, they make take it badly.

For some Marshmallow humor, click here. It's way funny, for real.

6 comments:

Tripp said...

I should also mention another purveyor of marshmallow-cum-ice-cream treats, Fentons

http://www.fentonscreamery.com/

This place was so good, we went despite the rancid cream smell. It burned down and was rebuilt, presumably without said smell. So if you are ever in Oakland or the East Bay make your way down there.

Tripp said...

I haven't tried Marsha Marsha Marshmallow, but I have tried the Dave Matthews one and it is really good. It is like their brownie ice cream with the addition of a raspberry swirl. It also makes you want to start doing some Grateful Dead dancing and pack another bowl so be sure to eat it away from public sight.

Brack said...

Thanks for the reminder about Redbones. Imagine my shock when - as a Virginian - I was forced to the conclusion that the best BBQ on the planet is from Boston. Will the wonders never cease?

What was that special they had . . the Box o Flames or something? The Saucebox? Maybe that was a bar in Portland.

Tripp said...

I believe the Redbones box was called Firebox. You had to ask for it and you had to be "in the know." Everybody likes being in the know, like when you order off the In-n-out burger secret menu.

As for the Firebox I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for something really crazy that required you to sign a waver that you wouldn't sue after your mouth combusts, but it was just some commercially bottled hot sauce. Still we got the sly nod from the waiter.

We did in fact get sauced at Saucebox. I think every one of you assholes got my a shot there. This led to being a mite bit tipsy and having a large bruise on my bicep where the dude I almost fought grabbed my arm.

On the topic of the secret menu at In-n-out, check this and head down to LA.

http://www.zenlemur.com/innout.shtml

Brack said...

My fave quote of that particular evening (perhaps uttered by T whilst his bicep was being bruised): "It's either love or the knife, man. And you're kissin the blade; you're kissin the blade."

Tripp said...

Not that it makes it any better, but for anyone who wasn't there, this was nine years ago. So I am only half as much a jackass as I was then.