Thursday, August 25, 2005

Happy happy joy joy

Oh glorious day! I arrived at my parents to find that Mom has recently completed Darkly Devoted Dexter, sequel to the delicious Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I can't wait to return to this character. The lead character is a good serial killer, that is, he only kills people who deserve it. It is fairly nasty, but also very amusing stuff. Kind of Heathers like, but much more bloody. The main character is a blood splatter analyst after all.

My love of this book had me thinking of violence and humor. This book is really violent but also quite funny in a black sort of way. Flashman is another book I read (and tossed aside by page 20) that attempts to combine violence and humor. I'm not sure why I didn't like it though. It could be the nature of the violence in Flashman. Instead of whacking bad guys and hiding from the law, Flashman is a cad who at one point beats a sex partner who won't get back in bed with him. It could also be that I just didn't find the nature of the book that interesting. Flashman lampoons the heroic figures of adventure fiction, which may have been wild stuff in 1969 but seems a bit played now. Don't read it. Read Dexter.

No comments: