Thursday, July 20, 2006

Random Random Random

I read what may be the most confusing and random blurb I have seen in all of July 2006. Dance of Death is the one of the most recent novels from Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. It is involves concerns two super genius brothers. Get this, one is good and one is eeeeeviiilllll. For real. The books are good entertainment but you won't see them discussed in the London Review of Books, if you get my meaning. Anyway, the second most prominent blurb on the back (from Kirkus) says "Goes down like cheddar-flavored potato chips." And that is all it says. Excuse me, but WTF? Does it mean it is a delectable treat or does it mean it tastes initially good, but you will have GI issues in a few hours? Really, what does that mean?

Anyway I bought it anyway since it was trade in credit. I also picked up Helen Knode's Ticket Out because a Hollywood Noir sounds just great. Reading her blurbs, I see that she is James Ellroy's wife. My first thought wasn't that she got the book deal thanks to that (she appears to be a knowledgeable film critic) but rather my surprise that James Ellroy is married. That guy is nuts.

And I also picked up White Apples, a Jonathan Carroll book that some people HATE and some love. I thought his Land of Laughs was great, so I have high hopes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan Carroll publishes one of the most fascinating daily blogs around on his website,

www.jonathancarroll.com

Erin

Tripp said...

Erin,

That's a fine site and an easy introduction to Carroll's work. He reminds me of Neil Gaiman so fans of his work should check the site.

Tripp