Sunday, January 01, 2006

Stink. Stank. Stunk

More kids's book recommendations for you. Those of you with kids know that kids like the stinky stuff. All I have to do is change a word in a familiar song to "pee" or "poop" and I'm Jon Stewart with my kids. So it shouldn't be surprising that the kids looooooooooovvveee I Stink, a book about a garbage truck and what it likes to eat. The coloring leans to the putrid with lots of dirty greens, browns and reds. The text emphasizes the nasty smells emanating from the truck. It's quite entertaining if likely to make you slightly queasy. We just checked out a sequel of sorts called I'm Mighty which concerns the daily adventures of a Tug Boat. The coloring is equally as great but I wasn't as engaged by the story. The kids on the other hand love it and demand frequent re-readings.

Speaking of kidly fun, if you live in Oregon you might want to consider a trip up to Snow Bunny, which is about a mile or so past Government Camp. We took the kids there for inner tubing. The parking is easy and a tube costs $10. You can do the same at many a resort, but here you walk easily and deal with smaller crowds. If you go, be sure to dress as well as I did. I must admit I was looking pretty fly in my 80s turquoise and yellow ski jacket. Good thing I brought my chick repellent.

No comments: