Thursday, June 04, 2009

WSJ Summer reading list

The Wall Street Journal has put out a summer reading list. Unfortunately you have to click through their interactive piece to see them all. Not a huge deal, but I like to skip around and the navigation gives titles but no authors! All is forgiven though, because they bring news of a new Carlos Ruiz Zafon novel! His Shadow of the Wind was a fantastic literary thriller and I had despaired of seeing another by him. Holy smokes and one by Rafael Yglesias (he of the wonderful Dr. Neruda's Cure for Evil. -- Note, this book is bizarrely expensive new, but Powells has a few used copies for under $10.)

Richard Russo has a new one too. It's called That Old Cape Magic, but I can't find out much about it. I would be jumping up and down, but my wife, who is probably a bigger fan than I, thought his last one was a yawner. So I am wary.

The WSJ is kind enough to throw the genre fans a bone with Fragment, a sort of Jurassic Park story where researchers stumble on an island, the ecology of which has followed a different evolutionary path.

2 comments:

Jen said...

This is totally unrelated to your post but I thought I'd ask if you are planning to see Neko tonight or tomorrow while she's in Portland? I saw her last night in Seattle and it was a great show (well, the first 20 minutes were a little rough and she later alluded to being a bit nervous playing at the Paramount, which, aw!).

Tripp said...

I wish I was, but my wife is out of town, so I am home with the kids. Glad it was good, I would love to see her.