Thursday, February 14, 2008

Chabon movie

I think it is good news that the Coen brothers are tackling the Yiddish Policeman's Union rather than Kavalier and Klay. While I think the latter is the better book, the former is better suited to a film treatment (although it is also being attempted). Since Union is at its heart a noir crime story, the Coens should feel right at home. The movie is going to be a mix of Insomnia, Kiss Me Deadly and Yentl. To feel true to the book, the mix should be about 15, 45, 40, which I hope the Coens get right.

Regarding Kavalier and Klay, it will be difficult to fit the range of the story into a 2 to 2.5 hour long movie. LA Confidential and LOTR prove that epics can be distilled into a shorter format, but I worry that the number of scenes would get short shrift. This site lists some of the scenes in the current script. I note no mention of Antarctica, which to me is pretty essential.

No comments: