Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Food, glorious food

Is food writing art? Yes and that is an official yes, because the Library of America says so. The LOA recently published a 750 page+ anthology of American food writing. Among the many authors you will find Thomas Jefferson, who here gives the first American recipe for ice cream. The website provides another sample, by Sheila Hibben, the first restaurant writer for the New Yorker.

If you have $4,000 dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you could pick up the Food writing and every other LOA title from Amazon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really cool. Thanks for the link.

Jefferson's ice cream recipe is essentially identical to any modern (egg/custard-based) ice cream recipe that you find today - like in David Lebovitz's book (The Perfect Scoop), for example. Up until the point, of course, when he tells you to put it in the Sabotiere. (The Sabo-who?)

I love the fact that the way I make my ice cream base is exactly the same way T.J. made it 200 years ago. But I'm not going to lie, I love that I can put my base into my Cuisinart electric machine, walk away, and then have 1.5 quarts of delicious homemade ice cream in 20-30 minutes. Some change is good.

Tripp said...

Yeah I was going to comment on the Sabotiere, what the hell is that?

My mother in law has an old rock salt ice cream maker that requires far too much work for my taste. Technology is our friend.