Monday, June 19, 2006

90s video nostalgia

Okay, if the 80s were the golden age of video, the 90s were the slow slide to decadence. They were still made, but you couldn't see them. There is a lot of goodness still to be seen though.

Temple of the Dog: Hunger Strike Every indie rock lover has burst into a duet with this one. I think only Moz impressions can beat this one in total drunken renditions. This one will bring a tear to every mid-30s dude in the house.

Frank Black: Los Angeles This one would be 1000% better if the joke metal band played for the whole video. Or if Joey gave his thumbs up.

Breeders: Divine Hammer There is much about the early 90s that rockers can disagree about: Nirvana or Pearl Jam? Is Soundgarden a grunge band? What about Alice in Chains? All (straight male) rockers of the era can agree on one thing, they want sex with Kim Deal. Special bonus video of Breeders covering GBV with GBV in the video.

Body Count: Body Count Could these be the best lyrics of the 90s? Maybe.

Local H: All the Kids Are Right If there is any Gen X virtue it is self deprecation, and this is one of the most self deprecating songs of all time.

Dinosaur Jr. The Wagon I totally forgot how into Dinosaur (as the cool call them) I was back in the day. Remember when Spin had the J Mascis is God cover? I feel like an old man.

Pavement: Cut Your Hair You know you love it. What you will love all the more is the dancing power of Peruvian band Los Zapping as they cover the song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching the Temple of the Dog video really brought me back. I remember watching it, err, impaired, and discussing with the fellows how Eddie Vedder was really short. Really short.

So, watch the video and, when his vocals kick in about a minute or so into the video, imagine him standing on your front lawn. You may find it funny now. I did, then.

Tripp said...

Is that why they hide him in the dunes, so as to hide this reality?

I always remember EV in Singles as he wore a Big Black T-shirt. I should write up Singles which along with Dazed & Confused, Kicking and Screaming and Reality Bites, captures the gen X what am I going to do with myself vibe of the era.