Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Damn hippies

The late 60s and early 70s were a crazy time. I'm really just talking out my ass since I was born in 71, but hey consider these things. You had the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, a comic featuring three stoner dudes constantly trying to get laid. OK, that sounds like every movie from the 90s, but these cats had really long hair and a poor taste in clothing. Someone published a "wargame" called Up Against the Wall Motherfuckers, which simulated the battle for Columbia University in 1968. One side was the student radicals, the other the administration. (Again there is a 90s cognate)

Anyway, having deflated my own argumentation, maybe this will interest you. I'd heard about the movie Punishment Park, for quite some time rather hard to find but now it out on DVD. It has a Phillip K Dick element to it, in that being a hippie is now illegal and you get sent out to the desert for a more than likely impossible chance to avoid jail time. You can read all kinds of relevance in the current days into this if you want. I just like dystopian stories, so I will check it out in that light. PDXers should note that the Multnomah County library has the DVD and I'm sure Movie Madness does too.

No comments: