Monday, October 12, 2009

What are the good myth books?

My eldest is becoming more and more interested in myths. He loves the Greek myths, and now thanks to the Avengers and Marvel Comics, he is becoming interested in Nordic myths as well. I wanted to get him some books on other mythos, but I can't think of any to get. Most I have seen are either too simple or way too academic. The only things I can think of are the two D'Aulaire's myth books. Those are great for my children, but I want something aimed at the adult as well. What I want is something like Robert Graves' Greek Myths, but for Mesoamerica, India or China.

I am trying to remember how I learned about the Greek myths. I think it was a combination of Clash of the Titans (and the rest of the Harryhausen movies), the D'Aulaire book, and Deities and Demigods. There are probably other influences, but I am drawing a blank.

No comments: