Monday, August 24, 2009

Fun with lists

Oh how I loved the Book of Lists, when I was young. Filled with strange lists, like people who might have been Jack the Ripper or the ever popular preserved sexual organs of famous men, the book was made to titillate and entertain. There is much less titilation, but plenty of entertainment in 10 Bad Dates with De Niro, a book of movie related lists.

I of course went straight the sex and violence section, where movies like In the Realm of the Senses play a major role. Once you get past all the real live actors having sex lists, you can move on to less prurient fare. There is plenty of it. I thought I would give it a quick flip through and put it aside, but I thought that many of the lists were funny and informative. In a list of movies that were never made, but should have been, we learn that John Waters of all people was planning to make A Confederacy of Dunces. I hated that book, but I think a Waters version of it would be worth watching, especially if done in the bizarre fashion of his early movies. There's tons more of this sort of goodness, including a list of one by Stephen Soderberg. He talks about Chinatown really is as awesome as you remember, and in fact is probably better.

This is a book that movie geeks will devour. The book's editor, Richard Kelly, has a blog about the book and movies in general.

No comments: