Monday, July 28, 2008

Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you

Wow, that Last King of Scotland is one hell of a movie. Forest Whitaker's portrayal of Idi Amin was gripping. His rapid switches from rage to joviality to concern were authentic and frightening. Showing the human side of a monster can't be easy, but Whitaker did it. His Oscar was well earned. It's worth pointing out that James McAvoy's performance was also notable. His Dr. Garrigan was an amiable fool, whose series of bad decisions leads to some unpleasant outcomes. He joins the likes of Holly Martins and Harry Angstrom as the ideal idiot protagonists.

One thing I rather liked about the movie is it's focus on the court of Amin. Garrigan ignores the violence in Uganda because it is so easy to do from within the elite circle. When he is confronted by what is really happening, he probably shouldn't be shocked but he is. The equally excellent Downfall makes this difference between the fantasy and real worlds more obvious, but it paints the same picture of wicked decadence.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's it. I've got to get this movie, immediately. Thanks for the review and the reminder.

And here's hopefully the shallowest thing I'll say all day: Mmmm, James McAvoy (with his Scottish accent!). I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Title of the Year for that post. Made me laugh out loud and feel slightly sheepish at the same time for catching the reference. Steve

Tripp said...

CR,

Well if eyeing James McAvoy is your goal, you will certainly get an eyeful here, if you catch my meaning.

Steve,

Thanks! Yes, by recognizing it you are guilty, but I am all the more so for using it.

T

Anonymous said...

No, Tripp, I have no idea what you mean. (Ha!) In a weird coincidence, I read the book "Atonement" over the weekend and now have to watch that McAvoy movie as well.

Also: Glad you had fun with the song, but thanks to you (and Toto) it's been in my head all day, making me crazy. Thanks ever so.

Tripp said...

if it's of any consolation, it's stuck in my head as well.